The first issue I faced is that the MSDN has two versions of Windows 8 published Enterprise and Professional neither one of these are allow you to upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate.
User Profile Application Proxy failed to retrieve partitions from User Profile Application: Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileApplicationNotAvailableException: No User Profile Application available to service the request. Contact your farm administrator.
at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplicationProxy.IsAvailable(SPServiceContext serviceContext)
I tried to create a new app pool via the Service Application Management screen to no avail. I then decided to disconnect and reconnect the farm via the psconfigui with hopes of it reestablishing the needed app pools. While doing that I encountered the following error when reconnecting the configuration database:
08/20/2012 12:45:21 11 ERR Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800700B7): Filename: \?C:inetpubwwwrootwssVirtualDirectories8181web.config
Line number: 25
Error: There is a duplicate ‘system.web.extensions/scripting/scriptResourceHandler’ section defined
at Microsoft.Web.Administration.Interop.AppHostWritableAdminManager.GetAdminSection(String bstrSectionName, String bstrSectionPath)
at Microsoft.Web.Administration.Configuration.GetSectionInternal(ConfigurationSection section, String sectionPath, String locationPath)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProvisioningAssistant.AuthorizeEveryone(Configuration webConfig, String location)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProvisioningAssistant.<>c__DisplayClass4.<EnsureAnonymousAuthorizationSettings>b__3(ServerManager manager)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPIisServerManager.CommitChanges(ApplyChanges applyChanges)
This is due to the fact that the default app poll runtime is set to .NET 4.0 so I changed to 2.0 in the IIS manager
After that the system restored itself successfully. Even with that accomplished I still received an error when attempting to access my User Profile Application. To resolve it I deleted the current application and created a new one using the same database settings.
The local farm is not accessible. Cmdlets with FeatureDependencyId are not registered.
I found a post from Tom Van Gaever that describes the issue. http://tomvangaever.be/blogv2/2012/07/sharepoint-2010-server-2012-and-powershell-3-microsoft-sharepoint-is-not-supported-with-version-4-0-30319-17626-of-the-microsoft-net-runtime/. In short the SharePoint commandlets require powershell v2. So in order to run them you must start and instance of powershell using the v2 runtime by issuing the following command:
powershell -version 2
After doing that my scripts ran as desired.